hearing God's voice
The following are outline notes from Raine Ihalainen's preach on 'Hearing from God' this Sunday 19th July 2020.
Hearing God’s Voice
We hear what we choose to listen to.
Who and what we listen to shapes us,
shapes our thoughts, opinions and future.
God is speaking
In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe.
“‘In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.
In line with the Bible
The Bible is the ultimate authority.
Even if an angel appears and says something that is not in line with the Bible we are not to believe it.
But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse!
Are you tuned into God’s frequency?
Samuel heard an audible voice - 1 Samuel chapter 3
1. The word of the Lord was rare
The boy Samuel ministered before the Lord under Eli. In those days the word of the Lord was rare; there were not many visions. 1 Samuel 3:1
2. Be in the right place The lamp of God had not yet gone out, and Samuel was lying down in the house of the Lord, where the ark of God was. Then the Lord called Samuel. (vv. 3-4)
3. Ordinary voice And he ran to Eli and said, “Here I am; you called me. ”But Eli said, “I did not call; go back and lie down.” So he went and lay down. (vv. 4-5)
The audible voice must have sounded like Eli’s voice!!!
We often expect this thunder-like voice when God is speaking to us.
Now Samuel did not yet know the Lord: The word of the Lord had not yet been revealed to him. (v7)
After the third time Eli realized that the Lord was calling the boy.
4. Responding to God calling The Lord came and stood there, calling as at the other times, “Samuel! Samuel! ”Then Samuel said, “Speak, for your servant is listening.” (v.10)
Hearing God’s voice created faith
Peter walking on water Matthew 14:22-33
It was the word that gave faith.
Peter knew it was Jesus because it created faith in his heart.
Faith comes by hearing…
So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. (NKJV)
God will reveal what He is about to do to his servants
Surely the Sovereign Lord does nothing without revealing his plan to his servants the prophets. Amos 3:7
Some Guidance for giving prophetic words
· Is this just for me or for others too
· Not every word of knowledge is for sharing
· Seek for the right timing to give the word
· What is God’s heart for this person?
· Record the word, asks somebody else to witness it, avoid car park prophecies.
· God gives a piece or pieces to one person. He builds the whole picture through other prophetic words.